Project Questions ETC:

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM
"The main thing I will need help with is offloading what I am calling modules (Feature)..

So by offloading a module to some one means that the data structures will be created on the fly for that module as well as the UI and Classes needed to use the business operations of that particular module.

It sounds stupid but initial development of this app will stay with a local database until the database is finalized then we will publish the db to a physical server to access it over a webservice or via VPN.."

>>>>

"I understand the idea of creating the data structures on the fly but why cant the UI and Classes be sent with the feature?"

>>>>

That is exactly what I am looking for..

Each module is created independently.. It contains the Classes for operation..

I am looking to to using LINQ Classes in an external Library That we can connect to the Client UI the Server UI as well as the webservice..
Any changes to the database have to be made though the OSHMS.DataLib so that it populates throughout the project..

Problems with this:
 If a major change happens in the data lib the might be a  little debugging and fixing for each major change in the database..
Developer
Feb 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM
So let me see if I have this right. What we have here is a feature that when installed creates its data structures in the database.
The feature exposes these data structures through objects. In turn these objects are accessed with the LINQ classes.  Am I on the right track here?
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM
Close.. That is why i am calling it a module.. instead of a feature is it is actually part of the whole program the install will install all the module data and classes.

Essentially as far as install goes I envision a ServerUI with databases.. A webservice that is also part of the ServerUI install, and a Seprate ClientUI that connects to the Server.

Pretty Simple..  Also if you are interested in seeing my vision here is my inspiration... http://www1.va.gov/cprsdemo/
Developer
Feb 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM
I took a look at the CPRS system.  Looks interesting.  Have to read more about it. O.K. so we have these modules that may or may not be there during an install.
At install time we have to determine what modules are there and create the back end data structures to support them.  Do you have anything drawn out that we could use to guide the project?

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Yes I do.. It is all Pen and paper, and I am getting it all in the Issue Tracker on this site, as for an overview of the project, I have an idea, but we are still in the first stages of the Cone of Uncertainty (Software Esimation by Steve McConnell) I have many many requests for functionality and I will continue to add them in the issues as the project develops.. So that being said all suggestions and function are up for entry to the system, and there is no feature too small or to large that we will not try to include at this moment.

All that being said we will need to narrow the cone of uncertainty and try to be focused by version 0.0.1.0 and as of right now we are looking at version 0.0.0.1 for phase 1 and 0.0.0.2 for phase 2.

I am hoping to keep unstable versions odd numbers, and functional/stable versions ad even numbers.

Perhaps all this should be documented in the WIKI.

So if any one is ready lets all get to it.. I have committed the projects that there are modules in the issue tracker, as well as some very minor work on the LoginForm issue.. Work Item Link